The Real Greece of the Peloponnese Peninsula:
May 18 - 27, 2023 $4600
The workshop adventure will begin in Athens Thursday evening, May 18th where we will meet for our first delicious Mediterranean dinner. The next morning we begin our travel by visiting the Acropolis and continuing across the Corinth Canal to the Peloponnese.
Two nights will be in Kalamata while we fill our days visiting olive groves and learning about the harvesting of these famous olives and olive oil. The Saturday morning farmers' market will give us a chance to mingle with the locals and to photograph. In the afternoon, we will travel to Olympia, the place where the Olympic games took place over 2000 years ago.
Traveling along the rugged coastline of Mani, we will see traditional fishing towns and dazzling seascapes. On one stop, we visit the Agios Spyridon church and the Troupakis-Mourtzinos Fortress. Moving on to our next guesthouse, we come to Gytheio, a beautiful town by the water where fishermen dry their catch in the sun. This town was the port for ancient Sparta, the legendary militaristic city-state.
Two nights in Gytheio will give us plenty of moments to watch the fishermen come and go in their small boats bringing in the day's catch. The imposing lighthouse, the seaside tavernas and the colorful dwellings up the hill represent Greece at its best. Our excursions include an abandoned stone village and a cave accessed by boat.
Continuing along the coastline, the next day will bring a stop at a shipwreck on a sandy beach on our way to a fascinating town on an island, Monemvasia. This fortified town features houses of stone and a labyrinth of alleys and passageways.
Next is Nafplio, a charming town surrounded by farms growing some of the best oranges and lemons of the region. Our trip will take us to an organic farm where we can enjoy a cooking class and try different dishes and deserts from oranges. We will enjoy two nights here before we turn our travel northward.
On our way back to Athens, we visit the ancient Epidaurus amphitheater, a well-preserved structure which can seat 15,000 people and still boasts perfect acoustics. Our travels take us through wine country with a landscape dotted with vineyards and olive groves before we end our journey back in Athens.
The itinerary is subject to change but will always be planned for the best photographic opportunities. For a friendly relaxed atmosphere and to provide lots of individual attention, the group is limited to 10 participants. The workshop fee is $4600.
Sign up early to reserve your spot in this popular trip.
• Nine nights lodging and 10 days of photographic instruction
• Various entrance fees, visits and shooting opportunities
• Ground transportation in private, air-conditioned bus
• Breakfasts included
• 2 Dinners on the first and last night in Athens
• 1 Dinner and Cooking Class at an organic farm
• 1 Olive grove and olive press visit with light dinner, olive oil tasting with Greek Meze cold platter and olives
• Fluent, English-speaking local guides at historic sites
• Tour Organizer and Photographer, Daniel Roșca
• Transfers to and from the airport
• Covid Vaccinations, Boosters and Any Required Testing
• Airfares and related taxes or fees to and from Athens
• Meals not listed above, expect to pay $17-22/per meal on average
• Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages
• Personal expenses, services, or purchases
• Transportation after the workshop ends
• Travel/cancellation Insurance which includes Overseas Medical Care and Evacuation
Greece, May 18 - May 27, 2023 WAITING LIST
WAITING LIST. The trip is full but we would love to have you on the waiting list. Things change quickly these days and an open spot might happen after all! Discovering the hidden adventures along the southern coast of Greece. Olive oil, oranges, fishermen, magical blue seas and craggy landscapes. Any camera is welcome — from DSLR to Mirrorless to iPhone — as long as you have a way to get your images onto an iPhone or iPad for viewing and editing. A lightweight, modern approach to our image making with photo critiques and classes all based on iPhones and iPads. Total cost is $4600. TRIP IS FULL but please sign up on the waiting list. INFO@DANBURKHOLDER.COM