Platinum Printing and Beyond Workshop, Nov 6-8, 2020
Nov 6-8, 2020 - Three days in Dan's Studio in the Catskills. From Making Digital Negatives to Platinum/Palladium Printing and Gilding your Prints with Gold and Silver, this Workshop Covers it All! Limited to 4 students. Pay your FULL REGISTRATION or hold your spot with a DEPOSIT of $800 with the entire cost due 30 days before the workshop. Learn with a Master printer and discover all the precious metal options for a platinum print.
Nov 6-8, 2020
limited to 4 participants, $1950 (with no additional materials fee)
- Learn the latest (and easiest) ways to make enlarged negatives with your desktop printer. (After all, Dan literally wrote the book Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing over 25 years ago.)
- Take your platinum printing to a new, beautiful place as you work with both rich, watercolor papers and delicate, translucent vellums. Learn how handmade prints make your photography stand out in a sea of lookalike inkjet prints.
- See how your prints gain depth and intrigue with a mixture of hand-applied precious metals. You might not settle for a straight platinum print ever again.
- Learn non-nerdy Photoshop techniques that will give your final prints that special depth and glow.
- Learn how to add an intriguing touch of color to your platinum/palladium prints with hand-applied pigments.
- Learn which process works with each image. No single process is right for every image.
Between printing sessions you’ll dive into the meat and potatoes of digital photography, learning powerful digital techniques that let you control the composition, color and tonality of your final images.
A field trip on Saturday (weather permitting) will reveal the special beauty of the Catskills and Hudson River Valley to both your eyes and your camera. It’s thrilling to shoot in the morning and print those images in platinum in the afternoon! Any digital camera or smart phone is welcome during the field trip.
If you want to master the next generation of platinum printing from the artist and technician who invented the Digital Negative in 1992, this is your golden opportunity!
Prerequisites for the Class
Participants should bring a laptop with Photoshop CS6 or later installed. A basic familiarity with Photoshop (layers and curves) helps a lot. A complete “Preparing for the Workshop” letter (explaining type of images to bring, etc.) will be sent to students several weeks before the class.
About the Instructor
Dan Burkholder has a long history of looking beyond the photographic horizon to see, explore, teach and exhibit the next great thing in imaging. His book, iPhone Artistry (Pixiq Press, 2012), is the universe’s most comprehensive and fun how-to book for iPhone photographers. His poignant monograph, The Color of Loss (University of Texas Press, 2008), intimately documented the flooded interiors of post-Katrina New Orleans. Dan’s book Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing blended classic and digital methods and became a standard resource in the fine-art photography community.
Dan earned his B.A. and Master’s degrees in Photography from Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California. His platinum/palladium and inkjet prints are included in private and public collections internationally. Dan’s web site is www.DanBurkholder.com.